Layers of thick sliced York Ham, oozing copiously with Yorkshire Creamery Extra Mature Cheddar. Toasted in a frying pan then topped with extra cheese and finished under the grill. A layer of Dijon mustard and some chopped chives gives this toastie a nice lift along with a touch of cayenne pepper for a little heat.
2 slices of Jackson’s Champion White Bloomer
75g Yorkshire Creamery Extra Mature Cheddar, coarsely grated
3 slices of thick sliced York Ham
a small bunch of chives, finely sliced
- Butter the bread generously on both sides right to the edges. Spread some Dijon mustard on one slice.
- Scatter a third of the grated cheese on the other slice of bread making sure it’s evenly covered with cheese right to the edges, then lay the slices of ham on top of the cheese. Sprinkle another third of the grated cheese on top of the ham making sure the ham is evenly covered with cheese right to the edges, then sprinkle with some chopped chives.
- Place the other slice of bread on top with the Dijon mustard facing down.
- Pre-heat a grill to its highest setting and heat a non-stick frying pan over a low to medium heat.
- Place the sandwich in the frying pan and toast for about 3 minutes before carefully flipping the sandwich over using a spatula.
- Continue to toast the sandwich for a further 3 minutes.
- Place the toasted sandwich on a baking tray then scatter the top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with a pinch of cayenne pepper. Place under the hot grill until the cheese is bubbling and you can see the cheese is oozing out of the sandwich – then you know it’s ready! Grilling time will take approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Let the toastie cool for a few minutes before slicing in half and eating.
- Garnish with more chopped chives to serve.
Recipe by Paul Robinson (Yorkshire Gourmet).